Beaconsfield Community fund

The WTHS were successful in obtaining a grant from the Beaconsfield Community Fund in 2006. Our Project was entitled “Exploring Beaconsfield’s Golden Past”. We obtained funding for four separate projects as follows;

    • York Town Museum Display, will provide an updated exhibit for the Gold & Heritage Grubb Shaft Museum in Beaconsfield which will include the model of the site as well as some of the artifacts from the archaeology of York Town. A brochure telling people about York Town will also be produced.
    • Electronic Historical Promotion, this website was funded by the Beaconsfield Community Fund.
    • Kerr-Stuart Locomotive, used to operate on the Wyett Tramway from Beaconsfield to Beauty Point. It was found at a sawmill site at Camden. Its retrieval, restoration and erection in the Grubb Shaft Gold & Heritage Museum is under way.

      The ‘Wyett tramway connected the Tasmanian Mine at Beaconsfield to the sea port at Beauty Point from the early 1880s until after the closure of the mine in 1914. The ‘Tram’ was a major feature of the fabric of the mining community for the transport of materials and the people. John Wyett, at first operated a 30 passenger four-wheeled bogie drawn by horses.

      In 1886 the line was converted to steam by the purchase of Kerr-Stuart 0-4-0 tank locomotive, made at Stoke on Trent, England, which was run on a steel track with a gauge of 30 inches (762mm). Heavy duty freight wagons were also obtained for the transport of machinery and coal.

      As the use of the tram line increased a further two Kerr-Stuart engines were purchased. During the 1920’s one of these engines was put into use by a timber mill situated at Tayene on the Camden road, east of Mt. Barrow. The township no longer exists but relics of the bogie, the boiler and the water tanks of the now rare old steam engine are retrievable at the mill site and are available for removal by the kind permission of the present land owner.

      The proposal is to move these historic relics to be exhibited, with some restoration, along with a Kerr-Stuart model already present at the Museum at Beaconsfield
    • Ballarat Gold Mine, is only 300 metres from the Grubb Shaft Gold & Heritage Museum. A walk to the site and some interpretation signs for this 1880 gold mine remains will be constructed at the beginning of 2008.

      The Ballarat Gold Mine site is the only known remaining example of an early Beaconsfield independent enterprise that mined the ‘Tasmanian Reef’. There are considerable above ground remains amongst the bush at a distance of only 300 metres from the Grubb Shaft Museum.