York Town

York Town is the fourth oldest permanent settlement in Australia behind Sydney, Norfolk Island and Hobart. It was settled in December 1804 under the leadership of Lt. Col. William Paterson. At its height it was home to 300 people. It had a year round water supply and was close to Bass Strait but it had poor soil an difficult access. Launceston was commenced in December 1805 and the two settlements co-existed until York Town was largely abandoned in December 1808.

The society have researched the history of the site, have located nearly 50 building sites from the original settlement, have opened the site for visitors, have conducted an archeological excavation on the site and continue to promote the history of York Town.

The site is on the Register of the National Estate and on the Tasmanian Heritage Register. The site is managed by a committee with representatives from WTHS, West Tamar Council, Parks & Wildlife Service and local landowners.

How to get there:

yorktownThe York Town Historic site is located 7 km north of Beaconsfield on the road to Green’s Beach (C720). Just before York Town Rivulet turn left onto Bowen’s Road and 100 metres after the turn off (on the left) is a car park.

Follow the gravel track 200 metres up to the site and follow the signs outlining the site’s history. The path is suitable for people needing wheelchairs (assisted) access.

There is a toilet and BBQ at the site.